All you need to do to grow flowers, herbs and vegetable, organically, is follow these ten steps.
1. Put the right plant in the right place. In other words, make sure the plant you choose is placed where it gets the amount of sunlight it requires as well as the water and food needed for strong growth.
2. Do the above in the planning stage so you know what you are going to do before the actual planting, what you will plant, where you will plant it.
3. Organic gardeners feed the soil because the healthy soil will produce healthy plants. One of the most effective ways to build healthy soil is to add organic material, such as compost to the soil.
4. Mulch, proper mulching prevents weeds from taking over your garden and thus reduces your labour. Mulch also reduces the soil’s thirst, as it reduces the rate at which it dries out after watering, and will warm up the ground in Spring and Fall.
5. Use organic and heritage seeds as these will breed true and you are then able to save seeds from the most productive plants.
6. When planting the seeds, especially if you are a novice gardener read the seed pack and follow the instructions.
7. Rain barrels allow you to collect rain and use it when you need to water the garden. Dry days are not uncommon and to save turning on the tap to provide the plants with that needed drink if you have a rain barrel you can meet their needs and conserve water at the same time.
8. Spend time in your garden simply observing the activity. An evening stroll can serve as an early warning system and help to avoid infestations and diseases. Paying attention to your garden can pay big dividends when it comes to combating pests and diseases.
9. Keep a garden journal, record your observations and thoughts. This will help when planning next year’s garden.
10. Enjoy experiment and have fun. We learn by doing so do not be afraid to do.
If you are a beginner do not read too many gardening books, stay focused on what you want to grow and how much time you have to garden. Start small and expand, if you want, as your skills develop and your knowledge grows.